QUESTION: where to find prison populations in 1970, 1971, 1972, or 1973

question / pregunta: 

Where would I find statistics for the state and federal prison populations (both total and broken down by gender)for 1970, 1971, 1972 or 1973? I checked the Bureau of Justice Statistics site, but its reports only go back to 1977.


You should take a look at the US Census Bureau's Statistical Abstracts from 1950-1994 which can be accessed here: Open the census report for each year you are interested in, and in the table of contents you will find a section titled 'Law Enforcement, Federal Courts and Prison'. This section provides charts that contain different types of information regarding US inmates. If you are looking for information from a specific year and you can't find it in the census from that year, try looking at the census from the following year. I hope this is helpful!

print copies

In addition to the online copies of Statistical Abstracts, you might be able to find them in print copies at a Federal Depository Library. Also, it is important to know that depository collections are accessible to the public, even those contained in an otherwise private (typically academic) collection.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.